Activist lab Gender, Sexuality and Equality
Activist Lab Klimaatrechtvaardigheid
Oxfam Novib stands behind the people who fight for a world that is more inclusive, fair, equal and safe. We believe that, together with people worldwide, we can create change, tackle inequality at its root and change the systems behind it once and for all. That's why we invite you to the Activist Lab, 100% free of charge!
Activist Lab is an opportunity to gain knowledge about influencing policy, develop your campaign skills and of course exchange knowledge and network with activists within and outside the Netherlands.
WHAT IS IT ABOUT?
Worldwide there are courageous people fighting for equal rights. Unfortunately, people are still discriminated against, condemned and persecuted because of their sexual orientation, gender identity and expression. This inequality has major implications for their security and human rights. We are going to learn more about gender, sexuality and equality, the international situation for the LGBTQIA+ community, the challenges and the opportunities and how you translate this into concrete action in the Netherlands.
This Activist Lab is for all young people (18-30 years old) who are committed to fighting inequalities in sexual orientation, gender identity and expression. You do not need to have experience with setting up campaigns or actions.
WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO?
We take you into the world of strategic campaigning and gender, sexuality and justice. Discover the ingredients of a successful campaign: how do you achieve the change in the world you want to achieve? How do you do that in an inclusive way? And importantly, how do you self-care while working to change the world?!
You finish the training with a (group) action! On the Action Day (July 8), you will immediately put your knowledge about gender, sexuality and equality, and your campaign skills into practice. You will do this in a way that suits you and where you feel safe.
Finally, you can count on inspiring exchange sessions with young activists from all over the world.
IMPORTANT DATES & LOCATIONS
To reflect on these topics, the program consists of these training days in Utrecht and The Hague:
- Saturday May 28 (from about 10 a.m. to 5.30p.m.): training day 1
- Kick-off, getting to know each other, and all about gender, sexuality and equality!
- Tuesday June 7 (from 6 to 8 p.m.): Exchange session with international activists (Zoom)
- Saturday June 11 (from about 10 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.): training day 2
- Strategic campaigning and brainstorm for creative actions
- Saturday June 25 (from about 10 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.): training day 3
- Intersectionality, power and privilege, and hands-on workshops such as storytelling and public speaking to carry out your action.
- Friday July 8: Action Day! (from about 10.30 a.m. to 8 p.m. including dinner)
- On this day you put your new knowledge and skills into practice! Times and location to be decided with your group.
- We end the day with a joint dinner
- In addition, you are available approximately 4 hours per week in between the second training day (June 11) and the action day (July 8) for group work and check-in with your Oxfam Novib coach to prepare for your action.
WHAT DO WE OFFER YOU?
We offer you the opportunity to expand your knowledge about gender, sexuality and equality and the way you can design strategic and inclusive campaigns. You get an Oxfam Novib coach and a budget to set up and implement your own campaign action (with your Activist Lab group). Activist Lab also provides you with a great network: other young people in the Netherlands, activists from different countries, and of course campaigners and activists of Oxfam Novib.
Are you interested in social themes, gender, sexuality or equality, or are you already an activist yourself? Do you want to develop new skills and expand your (international) network? Are you between 18 and 30 years old and do you live in the Netherlands? Register now via the registration form!
Do you have questions? Send an email to Mirjam.firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for registration is May 1. You will hear no later than May 3 whether you have been selected for participation.
Unfortunately, this edition of Activist Lab is completely full. If you want to stay informed about future editions of the Activist Lab, enter your name and email address here.