Marriage: No Child's Play
"More than Brides" Alliance (Save the Children Netherlands, Oxfam Novib, Simavi, Population Council) works so that young people, especially girls, are able to decide if and when to marry and pursue their sexual and reproductive health and rights in a supportive environment.
Oxfam Novib, together with Save the Children, Simavi, and the Population Council, is part of the ‘More than Brides' Alliance. Through its 5-year program ‘Marriage: No Child’s Play’, this alliance aims to reduce child marriage and its adverse effects on young women and girls in India, Pakistan, Malawi, Niger, and Mali. We are convinced that young people, especially girls, are only able to decide if and when to marry if they are empowered to make informed decisions, if their protective assets are built, and if their community respects their rights. The Alliance thus offers a multi-pronged approach of equipping adolescents with necessary skills and information, increasing their access to services and opportunities, and building their agency, while at the same time shifting social norms related to marriage formation, Sexual Reproductive Health Rights and gender equality.
- Project name: Marriage: No Child’s Play
- Project period: 2016-2020
- Target group: Oxfam Novib aims to empower girls both at risk and affected by child marriage. Oxfam Novib also aims to change social norms and practices by targeting girls and boys, husbands, parents of adolescents, community groups, influential leaders, and institutions such as schools and health centres
- Location: Pakistan (Oxfam Novib), Niger and Mali (Oxfam Novib and Save the Children Netherlands), Malawi and India (Simavi and Save the Children). Population Council supports research and base- and endline studies in all countries except Pakistan.
- Budget: € 29.275.000 (Oxfam Novib: € 6.650.000)