fast facts afghanistan
- Despite remarkable economic growth, reported at 22.5%, chronic food insecurity and poverty persist.
- 74% of people live in rural areas and 31% of rural households own no land.
- The most important cash crop is opium, with more than 10% of households engaged in poppy cultivation.
- School attendance has risen from 37% to 52% in two years, but isolated and insecure areas remain deprived of services.
- With eroding confidence in the government, insurgents have established a presence in most of the country.
For further statistics and sources, consult www.ngo-database.nl (click on 'country statistics'), database commissioned by Oxfam Novib in collaboration with Hivos, Cordaid and Icco.